Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Title. Same Shitty Content

I've actually been meaning to do this for a while. Ever since I gave my first blog the title Grumpy Old Man, I kind of hated it. It's unoriginal, bland, and over all just not good. This new one may not be good, either, but at least it's my own.

I suppose I'd better explain what this new title means. I'd say it was about 6 months ago when I was at a party with my then-fiance, and one of her relatives decided to ruin my week by telling me I look like Taylor Hicks. Now, I'm going to lie and say it didn't sting, but I was at least able to brush it off as some harmless ball-busting. Basically I just figured they were making a comment on the fact that I've got an inordinate amount of gray hair for a man in his twenties.

So after about three weeks of crying, I was able to put it behind me. But then, at my wedding, I'm heading to the bar to get myself a good, stiff drink (Shirley Temples count right?) when I see the two bartenders murmuring to themselves. When I asked what was up, one of them decided to point out that I looked just like that Taylor Hicks guy from American Idol. My first thought was that one of my wife's family members put them up to it, so I scanned the room looking for a person laughing in my direction so that I could go and murder them. When I saw no laughing person, I was forced to face up to the fact that once again I had been compared to this goofy fucking man.

At this point I was considering cosmetic surgery, but I decided to at least wait until my wife and I got through the honeymoon. For those of you who didn't read about my adventures in Italy, let me just say that you should go if you get the chance. We had a great time taking in the local history, enjoying the wine tours, and of course eating to the point of death. We even met a really nice couple from New York while we were at one of the wineries, and were fortunate enough to meet them later on for dinner. While enjoying a fantastic evening of food, wine, and conversation, the man of the couple (a 40-something Irishman) asked me if I was familiar with American Idol. Needless to say, I knew where this was going right away, so I threw my drink in his face and left. OK, I didn't do that, but I did spend 10 minutes forcing him to explain to me how he meant that as a compliment.

So apparently, I look like Taylor goddamn Hicks. I might as well learn to live with this fact, and I guess this blog is a way of coming to terms with something I find very unpleasant. I've got all my old blog posts transferred over here, so you don't have to worry about going back to see any of my classic work. I know you were worried. Hope you like the new page.

12 comments:

  1. So ,I need to see a picture of you. All this bragging and no evidence. Post it up man; the proof is in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Cath. Post that pic. What people have been saying is a compliment. Taylor Hicks is a very good looking guy. Many, many press comparisons to George Clooney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be doing that. If that means you don't think I look like him, then I will mark that as a win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got no idea what you look like really. But Taylor is damn hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Grumpy, You could do a whole lot worse than looking like Taylor Hicks!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YG5vx6RtzM

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious! :) But really, Taylor is hot. No need to feel insulted. http://tinyurl.com/67a9x9n

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet u are not nearly as handsome and hot as Taylor Hicks. Can you sing or play an instrument? Your blog is amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Take that as a compliment. Straight men aren't the best judge of male attractiveness, but trust us, Taylor Hicks is a good look to aim for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your 100th post! I note that the only common thread between your old blog and your new one is the term "grumpy!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you look like Taylor Hicks consider yourself a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright let me just say that I'm assuming all of the posts I'm seeing claiming Taylor Hicks to be hot are from Taylor Hicks himself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new title. hilarious post!

    ReplyDelete